Sunday, September 19, 2021

Dune Ridge Trail at Indiana Dunes National Park

Dune Ridge Trail
18" x 24"
Oil on Canvas
Here's a painting from my recent trip. I've posted a few of the "In progress" pictures below showing the different stages of this piece. This is the view from the base of a trail that leads to a hill overlooking the Great March at Indiana Dunes National Park. When I was walking down the trail I saw this beautiful view of the afternoon light. The sun was hitting the grasses and creating beautiful shadows. 

I met a young woman from Chicago on this trail that had recently lost her husband. She was watching me do a few sketches of this scene and we talked about losing someone that you love. I told her that I had recently lost my dad. She had come to the park to take a break from her job in Chicago. It was nice chatting with her and I don't think it was a coincidence that we met. Sometimes I think God places people in your life for a reason. This is one of those times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watercolor Daily

These paintings were inspired using word prompts from the Sketch A Day app. The paintings are all original - painted from life or a referen...